Monday, November 24, 2008

Life Goes On...

Well, its official. Crohn's gets to be part of my day-to-day life for the foreseeable future. And while it is a familiar guest, I can't say that it is a welcome guest.

In January, I had a very painful surgery to remove 25 cm of my small intestine and clean up all of the scarring and mess the inflammation had left in my insides. It took a long time to recover and I still have a pretty bad-ass scar from the surgery. The surgery was absolutely worth it because it got rid of the debilitating pain I felt every time I ate, or moved, or breathed. 

But...

The rate of Crohn's recurrence after this type of surgery is 50% within 5 years. I expected that I'd probably have problems again. But not so soon. Not this soon. Not within 10 months of the surgery. And I'm just so disappointed. 

I wanted 5 years to not be sick. To drink caffeinated coffee and good wine. To have a baby. To live life without constantly having a shadow of something that I don't want with me. 

No comments: