Friday, April 3, 2009

What is this? The 50s?


Dear Financial World,

I find it very insulting that my decision to get married has somehow meant that I leave all decisions about money to my husband. 

I accomplished a lot in this world before getting married. I had my own career, paid my own bills, bought my own car, bought my own house, and I even managed to keep it together through some of the toughest times of my life, all before marriage. I was a complete person, emotionally and financially. 

I decided to get married because I love the guy, not because I needed a knight in shining armor. I still very much value my independence. 

So don't address all mortgage mail to my husband's attention only. And don't list him as the borrower and me as the co-borrower. I'm responsible for half the mortgage, and my ass is on the line too if we somehow can't afford what we've committed too. And when we combined accounts, why did they all go into his name only (I'm looking at you, AT&T)? We're equal partners here in these endeavors - so it would really help my frustration level if you could treat us as such.

-Anne

No comments: