Friday, February 13, 2009

Teh Anxiety, I Has It


Seriously people.  Another plane crash?  This is the second time in as many months that I've landed in Denver, turned on my phone and saw an email alert from the NYT about a plane crash.  And add to that a friend's death in an airplane crash the same day as the Hudson River crash and you get a nervous Anne on a flight.

Flying in and out of Stapleton and DIA over the past 30+ years means that I laugh in the face of turbulence.  Lightening storms are really just good laser shows.  A fun activity with Will is being towed in a glider behind a prop plane.  And apparently donkeys kill more people every year than plane crashes.

But still.  I'm getting nervous.  I've already been on 15 flights since the start of the year.  Big jets and little commuter planes.  I have four flights scheduled for next week alone.  I hope I have an abundance of luck that isn't about to run out.  And some incredibly skilled pilots in charge.  And take-control flight attendants who don't loose their cool under pressure.  And a strong person sitting in the exit row who won't fumble with the emergency exit door. (Yes, I've started sizing up all of these people as I get on a plane these days.)

So, wish me good luck.  More so with the whole not getting anxious part than with the plane part.  That's going to go swimmingly, right?

No comments: