Saturday, January 3, 2009

17 Days and Counting


I bought some "airport trash" to read on my plane flight out to Seattle over Christmas. Yes, we finally made it to see Will's family - and there's photographic evidence here.

In my airport trash, there was an interview with the Bush family reflecting on leaving the White House. I have to admit that I've always kinda liked Laura, Jenna and Barbara. I could separate them from the idiot male Bush family member. Plus, a lot of my friends have commented that my mom looks like Laura Bush - and I have a very soft spot in my heart for my own mom.

They talked about showing the Obamas around the White House - and showing Malia & Sasha all the fun hide-and-go-seek spots. But then Barbara made a comment about how she was really excited for her parents to move back to Texas where her dad would be respected again and treated more fairly.  And that comment just made me bristle.

The dude at one point had the highest popularity rating for any president - and he's plummeted to the one of the lowest ratings ever. That's his own fault. And I just hope history judges him harshly for not only his complete and utter lack of leadership for the American people, but also for his incredible inability to take responsibility for his failures. I'd respect the guy a whole lot more if he could go into an interview and identify one thing, just one thing, that he would have done differently in his 8 years as president. Jeebus, I can think of one thing I'd have done differently already today (um, I ate a chocolate bon bon for breakfast, and I'd change that to something healthier).

So sorry, Barbara, that we're so harsh on your dad. It must be hard to love somebody so much and have so much criticism heaped on your loved one. But he volunteered for the job, twice. And he did a really bad job with it. And a lot of people are suffering because of that. 

Also? I'm excited for a president that can talk Engrish better with, you know, complete sentences and stuff.

No comments: